Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:29:54 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ryan Davis <ryand-bsd@ZenSpider.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem w/ cvsweb interface?

On 2002-03-19 20:43, Ryan Davis wrote:
> I noticed that src/sys/i386/isa/if_wi.c was updated via a cvsup run
> against 4.5-stable and wanted to investigate the changes that have
> been made since my last update. However, and this could be my
> misunderstanding of the CGI's interface, the file is only found under
> that path if you search the Attic:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/Attic/if_wi.c
>
> But is not found if you search:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/
>
> Clue me in? or is this a bug?

During the lifetime of a source tree, some files are removed from the last,
most up to date `version' of the source tree (CVS calls this the HEAD
branch).  In source control systems, like CVS, the history of that file is
still important.  The Attic/ subdirectory is CVS's way of preserving that
history.  When a file is 'removed' from the HEAD of a source tree, then CVS
moves this file in the repository into an Attic/ subdirectory.  This way,
the file is not checked out when someone asks for a clean copy of the HEAD
branch, but is still there if someone wants to view it later on.

Long story made short:
Read the last log entry of the file in the Attic/.  It was `cvs removed' :-)

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/