Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:29:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>, Michael Reifenberger <root@totum.plaut.de>
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, J Wunsch [and others!] wrote:
> As Andrew Gordon wrote:
>
> > This is easy enough to fix, though it is not obvious which is the
> > correct way. There are a number of possibilities:
>
> 6)	Telnet to your JetDirect, and turn off banner pages.  That's
> 	how i always did it.

Well, I have now tried the three printers that I can access remotely,
and none of them support this (they support the telnet prompt for
configuration, but banners are not one of the available options; I tried
typing the suggested "banner:0" in case it was an undocumented feature,
but that gave me an error).  These three machines are various different
models of laserjet 4 (4M, 4M+ etc.), aged between 2 and 4 years old.
Maybe there has been a firmware upgrade since; I certainly spent plenty
of effort (including talking to HP support) trying to find a way to
disable it at the time the first one was installed, but to no avail.

Also, I have since spoken to someone with an Intel NetPort Express
(an external ethernet interface for ordinary parallel/serial printers),
and he has the exact same problem, again with no obvious means to
turn off the banner in the configuration.  In both that case and the
HP, it responds correctly to the banner controls in the lpr protocol.

So, I still think a change to lpr/lpd would be useful, though so far
it looks like I am in a minority of 1....