Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2014 18:45:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
To:        Steven Stewart-Gallus <sstewartgallus00@mylangara.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can anyone help clarify details about the FreeBSD system call interface?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Steven Stewart-Gallus wrote:

> Eg)
>
> .\" Copyright (c) 2014
> .\"	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

I suggest that you retain the copyright on your own works and not assign
it to the Regents :)

> .\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> .\" modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> .\" are met:
> .\" 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> .\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> .\" 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> .\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> .\"    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> .\" 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
> .\"    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
> .\"    without specific prior written permission.

Also, we are trying to move to the two-clause license as much as possible.

> .\" THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
> .\" ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
> .\" IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> .\" ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
> .\" FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
> .\" DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
> .\" OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
> .\" HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> .\" LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
> .\" OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
> .\" SUCH DAMAGE.
> .\"
> .\"     @(#)unimplemented.2	8.2 (Berkeley) 1/09/14
> .\" $FreeBSD$
> .\"
> .Dd September 1, 2014
> .Dt UNIMPLEMENTED 2
> .Os
> .Sh NAME
> .Nm nnpfs_syscall, afs3_syscall
> .Nd unimplemented system calls
> .Sh SYNOPSIS
> Unimplemented system calls.
> .Sh DESCRIPTION
> These system calls are not implemented in the standard FreeBSD kernel
> and are reserved for the use of third parties.

I might say what organization requested them; I believe that that
information is included in the commit logs when they were added.

> .Sh RETURN VALUES
> These calls return \-1 and set errno to ENOSYS.
>
> I've also already started work on an nlm_syscall man page but I'm
> starting to think that if symlinks are supported it should just
> symlink to rpc.lockd.8. Also if symlinks in the doc system are
> supported then I can just symlink nnpfs_syscall.2 and afs3_syscall to
> unimplemented.2. I'm not sure if I want to wait until I've documented
> umtx_syscall or just submit the patch ealier.

The MLINKS variable in the corresponding Makefile will do the linking
(they are hardlinks actually, not symlinks).

-Ben