Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:51:15 -0600
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        Mike Schreckengost <mrpolitics@hotmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem mounting CD-ROM since 5.2-RELEASE

On 1/15/2004 3:32 AM, Mike Schreckengost wrote:
>> From: Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
>> To: Mike Schreckengost <mrpolitics@hotmail.com>
>> CC: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Problem mounting CD-ROM since 5.2-RELEASE
>> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:43:00 -0600
>>
>> I started a similar thread 2 days ago called "5.2-RELEASE: unable to=20
>> mount cd-roms".  S=F8ren responded on that thread and said "it looks=20
>> like you arent getting interrupts", but I don't really know what that=20
>> means.  Maybe that will help you...
>>
>> A verbose dmesg might be more helpful to those in the know -- run=20
>> "boot -v" from the boot loader and post the dmesg you get from that=20
>> (preferably posted to a web site given the size).
>>
>> Jon Noack
>=20
> Interesting ... so it seems as though there must be a problem in the at=
a=20
> controller code somewhere, and that would explain this little snippit=20
> from the 5.2 Release Notes:
>=20
> ----- BEGIN -----
> (9 Jan 2004) In some cases, ATA devices may behave erratically,=20
> particularly SATA devices. Reported symptoms include command timeouts o=
r=20
> missing interrupts. These problems appear to be timing-dependent, makin=
g=20
> them rather difficult to isolate. Workarounds include:
>=20
> * Turn off ATA DMA using the ``safe mode'' option of the bootloader or=20
>   the hw.ata.ata_dma sysctl variable.
> * Use the host's BIOS setup options to put the ATA controller in its=20
>   ``legacy mode'', if available.
> * Disable ACPI, for example using the ``safe mode'' option of the=20
>   bootloader or using the hint.acpi.0.disabled kernel environment=20
>   variable.
> ----- END -----
>=20
> I've tried each of these three options, but had no luck. For some=20
> unknown reason, setting hw.ata.ata_dma=3D0 in my loader.conf file cause=
d=20
> FreeBSD not to mount the hard drive with my /usr partition on it. :(=20
> When I turn off ACPI, the system likewise refuses to boot.
>=20
> Anyways, I meant to ask you: What type of ATA controller does your PC=20
> have? Are you using a SATA controller? (I'm not...)
>=20
> I'll keep you updated if I find a solution for this problem...
>=20
> TTYL,
> Mike

The motherboard is an Abit VP6 and the controller is detected as "VIA=20
82C686B UDMA100 controller".  I'll try disabling ACPI and see what happen=
s.

By the way, as we're dealing with ATAPI devices, setting=20
hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D0 (note the addition of the "pi") would be more=20
applicable.  Then again, if you booted with the "safe mode" option then=20
this should have already been covered.

Again, posting a verbose boot might get you more help.

Jon