Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:14:39 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UPS scenario; HOWTO?

On Thursday 13 June 2002 16:29, you wrote:
> Jon Larssen wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm adding a UPS to my FreeBSD server, and after reading docs and
> > such, I think I understand the process. But I have one question
> > regarding a far fetched scenario.
> >
> > [... Power goes out, server halts, power returns ...]
>
> Not far fetched at all.. We power servers with 2U APC 1400's, but are
> pretty conservative about when we start shutting systems down... so
> we see that pretty often.
>
> There's another thread going on in -questions right now Re: POWERDOWN
> that explains how to configure APM to power down your server
> completely with shutdown -p.
>
> Some BIOSes require you to enable "Powerup after AC loss" to
> automatically boot when AC power is restored. Check that, and test it
> before going live.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - Ryan
That won't help with the problem he describes.
When the system shuts down and powers off, but the mains is restored BEFORE
the UPS dies, the system hasn't had it's "AC loss", and won't restart.

Even worse, shutting down the system instead of leaving it in the "press key"
state, will make the UPS run even longer, making the chance of running into
the problem even bigger...

grtz,
Daan