Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:06:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, FreeBSD Current Users' list <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD's ports list <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mozilla-devel problems

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Joe Marcus Clarke:
> > Okay, my -CURRENT machine is fine.  As for the fonts, this is most
> > likely due to the new Xft support.  My fonts look pretty good.  You
> > might try installing the x11-fonts/webfonts port, then stick this file
> > in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, and see if things improve.  Else, rebuild
> > mozilla-devel with -DWITHOUT_XFT.
>
> If you have an idea, please have a look at the following two pictures.
> You'll see the difference very fast...
>
> <http://people.freebsd.org/~roberto/mozilla-1.2b-CURRENT.gif>;
> <http://people.freebsd.org/~roberto/mozilla-1.2b-STABLE.gif>;

The font being used is obviously different.

This looks similar to a well known problem that could occur with
nominally proportional spacing fonts in X programs that incorrectly
assumed monospacing for characters, and also on nominally fixed
spacing fonts in X programs that assumed that the offset would never
be zero, and so didn't bother doing the extra math on the font
spacing based on the cell offsets (FWIW, some fonts have incomplete
data in some fields, so if you use them blindly, rather than looking
for the bad data, and then making your positioning decision on the
character cell, rather than the character, you get effects like this).

-- Terry