Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:14:27 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Somewhat OT - Can't get KDE to work for normal user

> From: "SNF" <lists@stevenfettig.com>
> To: "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
> Cc: "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Somewhat OT - Can't get KDE to work for normal user
> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 06:58:51 -0600
>
> I should have been more clear with this.  I can run startx as root and get
> xfree86/KDE running great.  I simply can't do it as any other user,
> though...  When I go and try runnung 'make install' on
> /usr/ports/x11/wrapper, it says that "==>  wrapper-1.0_1 is forbidden: This
> port is for XFree86-4"  - now that error has me a little bit confused since
> I already installed XFree86-4 with the pkg_add utility in /stand/sysinstall.
> Should I have run a make install for XFree86-4 from the ports?  and if so,
> what is the difference - besides the means by which it would have been
> installed?

    roman@roman ~ > grep -i xfree /etc/make.conf
    # By default, the ports collection attempts to use XFree86 3.3.X.  If
    # you are running XFree86 4.X, uncomment this line.
    XFREE86_VERSION=        4

    If you don't have /etc/make.conf, either copy over the one from
    /etc/defaults, or do echo "XFREE86_VERSION=4" > /etc/make.conf

    HTH

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
2:11PM up 15 days, 54 mins, 17 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.11, 0.04