Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:19:00 +0530
From:      Chandan Haldar <chandanh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple MSDOSFS partitions on iomega 250GB external disk

I have browsed the threads on using >128GB disks with MSDOSFS
(msdosfsmount()disk too big.  Sorry" etc...).  It seems to me from the
mails in the archive that there are basically two ways to cope with this
problem:

1. Rebuild kernel with MSDOSFS_LARGE enabled and pay the price in terms
of extra 32 bytes per file memory usage.

2. Partition the disk into multiple <128GB partitions.

I'm using a iomega 250GB firewire/usb external disk that I need to
access from Windoz as well as from FreeBSD.  I'm inclined to go the
second way and chop it up into multiple pieces.  At the iomega website,
they are washing their hands off the problem with something like this:
iomega does not recommend partitioning the disk into multiple
partitions... etc.

Can anyone on this list confirm actually making two or more FAT32
partitions on a iomega 250 GB desktop external firewire/usb harddrive
and successfully using all partitions on both Windows and FreeBSD?  Any
issues and experiences to share?

Also, is it possible to use something like partitionmagic to resize the
first partition without destroying the data (as I can do on a standard
internal harddisk)?

Thanks for any help.

Chandan