Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:31:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, garycor@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinpad 600X (26455FU)

>Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:02:02 -0500
>From: "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>

>> [Only nuisance so
>> far is the touchpad:  tapping it appears to be *identical* to a
>> press/release of the left mouse button, thus preventing the ability to
>> make a distinction between the two actions.]

>I've only used a touchpad PC for about 10 seconds (and didn't like it),
>so I'm no expert on this, but I'm curious:

I *does* take some getting used to -- but then, so does a mouse.  And at
least the touchpad doesn't wander off in response to gravity....  :-}

>I thought that the whole *idea* of tapping a touchpad was that this is how
>you "click" your substitute mouse.  What behavior were you expecting?
>Again, I'm just curious...

The following except from moused (4) may help clarify:

     Many pad devices behave as if the first (left) button were pressed if the
     user `taps' the surface of the pad.  In contrast, some ALPS GlidePoint
     and Interlink VersaPad models treat the tapping action as fourth button
     events.  Use the option ``-m 1=4'' for these models to obtain the same
     effect as the other pad devices.

It is the latter behavior that I desired:  I was able to get that behavior
with an NEC Versa 6030X, so that even though the machine only had 2
apparent physical butons, they could be mapped to (logical) buttons 2 &
3 (respectively), while tapping the touchpad would be treated as pressing
button 1.

This way, the "chord" to simulate button 2 would be unnecessary.

The thing I find obnoxious in the case of the LifeBook is that it seems
very well-designed in all other respects, and had it been put together
so that the tapping were to generate a slightly differnt input than
pressing the left button, the user would have some hope of being able to
treat the 2 events as similar or otherwise, as said user might desire.
By causing them to generate the same input, there is no way to
distinguish them. :-(

The only saving grace is that I'm able to do the "chord" about 90% of
the time with the LifeBook (vs. about 15% of the time with the Versa).

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915