Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 22:22:12 -0400
From:      Oliver Oberdorf <oberdorf@earthlink.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Orinoco/watchdog timeout - IDE IRQ?

M. Warner Losh wrote:

>: I'm assuming this means that I can't fix the collision and FreeBSD in
>: it's current form won't support my hardware.  If I'm missing something
>: obvious, let me know :)
>
>You are missing something.  First, interrupts can be shared.  Second,
>if you have issues with PCI interrupts, you can route via ISA
>interrupts.

The s30 is fairly recent; released in 2001, I think.  However, I tried
these settings (both with and without polling irq) and it had no
effect.  In all cases, as before, the wi0 card shows up as being on irq 5.

Also, was this suggestion OLDCARD specific?  (you mentioned man
oldcard).  I can't run with the OLDCARD code or my machine hangs during
boot (mentioned this earlier, but you may have missed it).

Summary for anyone who missed my earlier mail:

I have a 2001-ish IBM Thinkpad s30 (Japanese model)
FreeBSD 5.0 is the first release I can run on it
If I run the NEWCARD (default) pcmcia support, my Orinoco Silver 802.11b
card is detected on IRQ 5
When I configure the network on the card, I get wi0: watchdog timeout a
few times and the system grinds to a halt (force poweroff)
If I use the OLDCARD support in a new kernel, the machine fails to boot
in the same manner as 4.8 did for me

Thanks all for the various suggestions, wish I had better news.

-Oly