Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:17:07 -0500
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   swapping hard drives

Just a quick question...

I have a server running on freebsd 4.1 and want to upgrade to a newer
version... BUT I need to keep my server online while I do this.

What I want to do is a clean install on the current box that it is running
on, and I am hoping that I can swap the hard drive out of the server it is
in now, put it in a temporary machine, and if it works it will no longer be
needed when the new hard drive is all configured correctly...

The main hardware differences between the two are that the current server
has:

pII 350 processor, Netgear 310TX NIC

The temporary machine I am swapping to will have:
PII500 processor, and a D-Link NIC

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? How well does freebsd react to
this kind of change?

Thanks