Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:22:39 -0600
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic from May

I get the following panic on a GENERIC kernel from around May 23:

(copied by hand)

/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c:385: sleeping with "vm" locked from /usr/src/sys/vm/vm_pager.c:428
panic: sleeping process owns a mutext
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at  Debugger+0x44: pushl %ebx
db> trace
Debugger()
panic()
propagate_priority()
_mtx_lock_sleep()
obreak()
syscall()
syscall_with_err_pushd()

this looks a lot like...

my system cvsupped around May 25 reliably causes a panic when I

$ cp /cdrom/distfiles/somefiles /tmp

I've written down the message from the debugger:

/usr/src/sys/kern_synch.c:385: sleeping with "vm" locked
from /usr/src/sys/vm/vm_pager.c: 428
panic: sleeping process owns a mutex
Debugger("panic")
>trace
Debugger(...)
panic()
propagate_priority()
_mtx_lock_sleep()
ffs_write()
vn_write()
writev()
syscall()
syscall_with_err_pushed()

.... from the current archives.

What can I do get this thing through a make world?
Would a recent kernel over the existing userland have any hope
between then and now?

Thanks.

Chad