Date:      02 Jun 2000 09:13:18 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        support@tecpro.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Software

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:28:03 -0400, "Charles Peters - Tech Support" <support@tecpro.com> said:

Charles> I am in the process of selecting a tape backup software
Charles> solution, and was wondering what the advantage to BRU
Charles> Personal Edition, BRU Commercail Edition, both of which are
Charles> avaliable from The FreeBSD Mall, or something like Amanda
Charles> Network Disk Archiver, which is avaliable at not cost, in
Charles> the ports collection.

Charles> I need to be able to back up several different FreeBSD
Charles> servers to a DAT drive on one particular server.  It is
Charles> entirely possible that I may be required to back up Novell
Charles> Netware volumes or NT Server Volumes.  The ability to back
Charles> up client workstations (Windows 95/98/2000, Linux Clients,
Charles> and FreeBSD Clients) would also be nice.

I've been using Amanda at home and a couple other sites quite happily
for a few years now.  I have a 4xDDS2 (4/8GB) juke which it runs very
nicely. It was cheap enough for home or a small ISP; you might want
something more capacious and therefore expensive (DLT, AIT).

I've been backing up FreeBSD-2, -3, and -4 boxes, SunOS, and Solaris
boxes; Amanda should work fine on any UNIX.

Check www.Amanda.org for caveats on backup of NT: I think it cannot do
"active" files such as the registry, but I don't do enough NT to
really know. No idea on Netware, RTFM.