Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:15:59 -0500
From:      dlr <dlr@insane.asylum.org>
To:        efinley@castlenet.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Number of tty's

On Sat, Jan 10, 1998 at 06:31:14AM +0000, Elliot Finley wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 00:14:58 -0500, you wrote:
>
> man MAKEDEV

> >I just got the following message on a freebsd machine:
> >telnetd: All network ports in use.
> >I'm having problems with secure shell leaving dead shells around.
> >Is there a way i can increase the number of logins accepted?
> >I have ptys set to 256 in the kernel. Do I need to create new ttys?
> >There are 49 tty* found in /dev.  Do i need to increase this somehow?

man MAKEDEV says:

tty#    standard PC COM ports
The i386 supports the following devices.  Where a device name is followed
     by a hash sign (``#''), the hash sign must be replaced by a unit number.

so i did MAKEDEV tty1 thru tty9. This took it from 49 up to 67 tty's.
Is there a way to increase this, or is this the maximum number of connections (i
don't think that it would be the max number).

thanks,

dave