Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:28:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, patrick@netzuno.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Almost fixed (was Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (Julian's patch))

I just noticed something else weird.

I did "arp -a" on my bridge, and one of the entries was for the bridge
itself.

In other words, the bridge had an ARP entry telling it its own hardware
address (on its external, "xl0" interface, in case it matters).

The superfluous ARP entry was marked as permanent, FWIW.

I deleted the entry (with an "arp -d" command).  This doesn't seem
to have affected anything; I can still contact the bridge via either
interface, and I can go through the bridge, and (so far, at least) the
extraneous ARP entry has not returned.

I haven't a clue as to where this ARP entry came from.  I couldn't find
anything in any configuration file on the bridge that might have added
it explicitly.  I rebooted the bridge, and the ARP entry isn't there.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/