Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 11:35:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Anil John)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling kernel for ATAPI CD-ROM error - fatal signal 11- what is it?

Anil John writes:

> Oops...Sorry. I had sent this message out previously with the wrong reply address. Apologies.
>
> ==========================
> I am trying to recompile 2.1 RELEASE kernel to take advantage of an ATAPI IDE
> CD-ROM.  I copied my GENERIC configuration file to a new one called HAMMER.
>
> The only change made to the config file was to take out the # on:
>
> options   ATAPI
> device    wcd0
>
> and to delete
>
> cpu "I386_CPU"
> cpu "I586_CPU" since I have a 486DX/66

You don't need to do this, of course, but it shouldn't harm.

> 'wcd0c' and 'rwcd0c' are present in the /dev directory from my original
> installation. Ran config on HAMMER. Changed to the HAMMER directory and ran
> make.
>
> My compile stopped with the following error:
> --------
> June 22 17:31:56 hammer /kernel: pid 453: cc1: uid 0: exited on signal 11
> cc: Interal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 11
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

This is almost certainly a compiler bug.  The compiler addressed
non-existent memory, and the system killed it.

It's just barely possible that there are other reasons, for example,
memory errors or such, but most likely it didn't like the source,
which would suggest that the source is corrupt.  Typically, when
building the kernel, you'll see things like

gcc -c -O -W -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Winline -Wunused -g -nostdinc -I. -I../.. -I../../sys -I../../../include -DI486_CPU -DIPI_VJ -DHARDFONTS -DSCSIDEBUG -DIPACCT -DCOMPAT_43 -DCD9660 -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL  ../../libkern/strlen.c
gcc -c -O -W -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Winline -Wunused -g -nostdinc -I. -I../.. -I../../sys -I../../../include -DI486_CPU -DIPI_VJ -DHARDFONTS -DSCSIDEBUG -DIPACCT -DCOMPAT_43 -DCD9660 -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL  ../../libkern/strncmp.c

These are the compiler invocations for the files strlen.c and
strncmp.c.  Check which file causes the compiler to fail, then try
again.  If it fails in the same place, there's probably something
wrong with the source (so check it).  If it fails at random places,
there's probably something wrong with your hardware.

Greg