Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:39:47 -0600
From:      Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Question?

"Best" is a personal judgement.  It depends on your use of computers =
and the
way your mind works.  If your computer experience has been strictly =
from the
desktop perspective, try Caldera's eDesktop 2.4.  It's a breeze to =
install,
won't overwhelm you with software, and its configuration applications =
won't
overwrite manual changes.  Linux is a little easier to learn.  Over the =
next
year or two, I'll bet you try FreeBSD and two or three distributions of
Linux.  This is a good thing.

As I learned more about Unix and computers in general, I realized that =
many
of my needs should be met from the server side.  At work, I (a non-tech
person) currently administer a MySQL database server running on Caldera
eDesktop 2.4.  At home, I have a computer that has FreeBSD 4.1, SuSE =
7.0 and
Windows 98.  I hope to convert my database server to FreeBSD 4.2 in a =
week
or two.  The CDs should have arrived today!   :-)

No matter where you start, your perspectives will change as you learn.
There's nothing wrong with dual or triple booting.  Move at your own =
pace.
Make your own choices.  Learn from the consequences; and move on.  =
There is
no better school than the open source community.

Andrew Gould