Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:51:38 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        sudz@ns3g.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Openssh

--==_Exmh_1249018302P

If memory serves me right, "Colin Legendre" wrote:
> Once again though, if it was a little bit of trafic I could see it but this
> much nope.
>
> AND why would it be different on a 4.3 box from a 4.4 box? and why different
> when using ssh1 vs ssh2?

As at least two other people have pointed out, in your situation you are
seeing not only the traffic you intend to measure, but you're also
seeing traffic generated by your measurements.  You really need to
disambiguate these two.  If you need to look at traffic from the
perspective of the remote side of your connections, try running tcpdump
with the -r flag to save your packet data to a file.  Then view it
afterwards (after your experiment is over) by using the -w flag.  RTFM
for more details.

As I type this, I'm looking at the Ethernet port being used by my
workstation, which has multiple SSH protocol 2 connections to other
machines.  I see no evidence of a 40-50Kbps background load...I'm pretty
sure I'd notice this because that's a fair fraction of the uplink
bandwidth to my ISP.

The question of how much traffic seems to be generated by SSH protocol 1
versus protocol 2, when your measurements are interfering with the thing
you're trying to measure, just isn't meaningful.

Good luck,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1249018302P

--==_Exmh_1249018302P--