Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:31:41 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethercard configuration

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:53:12AM +0100, Klaus Haeberlein wrote:
> I have a 3Com509 Combo ethercard for ISA and I can not get it run
> properly under FREEBSD.
Did you disable PNP on the card using the 3Com DOS/Linux config tool?

> The configuration is in compliance with all the manuals and hints. The
> loopback works well the only is that does not hook up to the other
> machine. There is no problem with the card and the connection, because
> it works under Win and Linux perfectly.
Do you get any error? Are you sure your IP configuration is ok?
Is the mediatype set correct (test using ifconfig ep0|grep media)

Do you have any firewall configuration? Did you try a different NIC?

http://www.holland-consulting.net/tech/ocep/index.html#3c509
might be helpful too, though it's written for OpenBSD, most applies for
FreeBSD too.

If you still have problems, please show your complete dmesg, the output
of ifconfig ep0 (or ep1 or whatever it's called) and the output of
netstat -rn -f inet (and any other information you think is important)

> Does anybody know what kind of problem that is? Do I need the tun
> interface for a local network? This also an other thing which comes up.
no, tun is used for tunnels like userspace ppp.

HTH,
Alson
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
Yes, I chowned all the files to belong to pvcs.  Is that a problem to you?