Date:      14 Apr 2000 01:32:05 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tty config

Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org> wrote:

> The problem I have is not being able to use some programs like pine or vi
> over the account because it doesn't recognize my terminal type,
> cons25.
> What type should I set in /etc/ttys?

"cons25" (or "cons25l1"), of course. The ISP's box not recognizing
this terminal type is a problem on said ISP's box, not on your
machine, and it's preferable to fix problems at their source.

Alfred's already provided two suggestions. Personally, I tend to
look for a syscons-compatible terminal type that is supported on
those target machines which don't know about cons25*, and I set
TERM appropriately in the remote ~/.profile:

case $TERM in
    cons25*) TERM=at386 ;;
esac

syscons is largely compatible to the SCO console, which should be
available under some name on most machines. It's "at386" on Solaris,
"scoansi" on some Linux distros.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de