Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:13:57 +0530
From:      Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 max sockets

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:17:52PM +0800, ke han wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> This app is intended to keep 20,000++ sockets alive at a time.  These
> sockets are very long lived.
> I understand about kqueue.  I will eventually write for this.
> What I need to understand are the various kernel tunings required to
> handle 20,000++ active sockets.  I would like to approach the
> theoretical max...is it 64k?  That is, is the absolute max socket
> descriptors 64k?  any thing else in the way of this maximum?

I only have to say "Sorry, I don't know" for this question. :-)

I hope other more experienced folks in this list will help you.

I can give you just a thought however. If you have such massive requirements if I were you I would do the socket handling inside the kernel itself.

That way you avoid the very expensive user space/kernel space context switch and also go in for some embedded system suited for this sort of thing.

Perhaps I am talking rubbish. If so please pardon me. :-)

Best of luck!

regards,
Girish