Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:03:41 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.unifi.it>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cirrus Logic PD6729

> > Add the following option to your config file and reconfig/rebuilt your
> > kernel.
> >
> > options         DDB                     #kernel Debugger
>
> Done: look what happens:
>
>     ugo@chimaera:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf [0]# config CHIMAERA
>     ugo@chimaera:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf [0]# cd ../../compile/CHIMAERA/
>     ugo@chimaera:/usr/src/sys/compile/CHIMAERA [0]# make all install
>     echo "gcc2_compiled." >symbols.exclude
>     [...some stuff deleted...]
>     cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit
>     -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith
>     -Winline -Wuninitialized  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include -DNFS
>     -DFFS -DKERNEL -include opt_global.h  ../../ddb/db_command.c
>     In file included from ../../ddb/db_command.c:47:
>     /usr/include/setjmp.h:53: conflicting types for `sigjmp_buf'
>     machine/setjmp.h:43: previous declaration of `sigjmp_buf'
>     /usr/include/setjmp.h:53: warning: redundant redeclaration of `sigjmp_buf'
>     in same scope
>     machine/setjmp.h:43: warning: previous declaration of `sigjmp_buf'
>     /usr/include/setjmp.h:56: conflicting types for `jmp_buf'
>     machine/setjmp.h:46: previous declaration of `jmp_buf'
>     /usr/include/setjmp.h:56: warning: redundant redeclaration of `jmp_buf' in
>     same scope
>     machine/setjmp.h:46: warning: previous declaration of `jmp_buf'
>     *** Error code 1
>
>     Stop.
>
> So what? I tried with:
>
>     mv machine/setjmp.h machine/setjmp.h.old
>     cp /usr/include/machine/setjmp.h machine/setjmp.h
>
> and it seems to compile.

Your includes files are out of date.  You need to re-install the include
files so that they match your kernel include files.

> Isn't there anyone using the DDB? This error is quiet
> strange... maybe it is due to the differences between the kernel sources (that
> I sup regularly) and the world sources.

The error would probably occur even if you didn't compile DDB.  Also,
did config blow away everything so that the compile was done from
scratch?

> Anyway, I installed the new kernel, made a shutdown and now I am into the
> debugger. Almost any command (but help) prints something like "Panic... blah
> blah blah". I tried a trace, but it gives no useful information. What should I
> do? Let's start praying? :-)

*grin*  Read the handbook on kernel debugging, that should be a big help
and can give you more information than I can provide in email.

> >> Moreover, may the ESS1868 interfere with the process? The pccard driver
> >
> > Yes, that could be a problem, especially if your BIOS think the sound
> > board is at IRQ 5 (which I suspect it does.)
>
> Should I force the pccard driver to use irq 9 for the chip?

You can't force the pccard driver to use irq 9 unfortunately.  That's
one of the (known) problems with the current setup. :(

> P.S.: I have a problem with the anti-spam behavior of sendmail at freebsd.org:
> it refuses my messages (as you can see, you cannot read me in the
> "mobile" mailing list), because the emails come from the ".home.net" domain
> (that's my home network) that is obviously unregistered. I tried to send all
> the mails to freebsd.org through a host at my university (using sendmail
> maileratable feature), but in this way I don't ever receive back an error
> message from sendmail, and still I don't see my messages in the mobile list.
> Any suggestion?

Send email to freefall the same way you send email to me. :)

Nate