Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:14:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Burning CDs or DVDs with SATA drive?

from my previous message:

> Does growisofs work on CDRs or only DVDs?

> If 'cdrecord -scanbus' doesn't work at all, how do I get the "SCSI device" n:n:n?  Use camcontrol?

> I see both FreeBSD and NetBSD have makefs (which can make a UFS/FFS or iso file system, taking the place of mkisofs in cdrtools.  But NetBSD has no CD or DVD burner in the base system.

> I could also try to build cdrkit and see if that works.

At that stage I hadn't looked in the Makefile to see that cdrkit was not an option on FreeBSD 9.0 .

So far, I tried cdrecord and readcd only as root, so permissions ought not yet to be an issue.

amelia2# camcontrol devlist
<WDC WD30EZRS-11J99B0 80.00A80>    at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-L890SA 1.05>    at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
<WD My Book 1130 1012>             at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,da0)
<WD SES Device 1012>               at scbus7 target 0 lun 1 (pass3,ses0)
<UFD USB Flash Drive 1100>         at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (da1,pass4)
<Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP>   at scbus9 target 0 lun 0 (da2,pass5)

amelia2# readcd dev=5,0,0 sectors=0-0 -
readcd: Device not ready.

I got same results after running "kldload atapicam".  Also,
cdrecord -scanbus didn't work at all.

In Linux, beginning with kernel 2.6, cdrtools work with ATA or IDE CD or DVD burners without inserting a SCSI layer.

Maybe I need to build and install growisofs (sysutils/dvd+rw-tools)?

I have /dev/xpt0 even without "kldload atapicam", also /dev/pass*.

cdrtools use "dev=n1,n2,n3", which don't have to be all zero.

I had intended, and still intend, to build a Linux installation, may or may not bother with NetBSD.

I want to see what Linux can do that FreeBSD can't, how and if the device drivers are superior.

NetBSD has no USB 3.0 support now or in the foreseeable future, and otherwise doesn't like my hardware;
I tried before installing FreeBSD.

Tom