Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:17:54 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        Tony Rini - Network Operations <tony@thegrid.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 only mounts / on boot

 Having /etc as a separate partition is your problem. The boot loader
knows where to find the root partition and nothing else, which means that
FreeBSD loads, mounts the root partition, looks for /etc/fstab, can't find
it because /etc is not mounted, and therefore doesn't mount any
partitions.
 If you move /etc back into the root partition, you should be fine.

Eric