Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:49:52 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking down the PS/PDF image problem

--==_Exmh_-1880813464P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> I'm trying to track down the root of the problem that's causing images in
> the PS and PDF versions of the Handbook to break.

Thanks in advance!

> So far, it looks as though there isn't anything wrong with the markup
> per se, as a copy of the Handbook as of 2001/09/01 exhibits the same
> problem (and I know that things were working OK around that timeframe).

Tentatively I'd agree with this assessment.  I have a more recent PDF
Handbook with intact images...the sources came from the 5.0-DP1
Perforce branch.

> Which means something in the toolchain's broken.  Either the
> stylesheets, teTeX, or one of the utilities that generates the images.
>
> I *really* want to avoid having to binary search through various
> versions of all the ports involved, as that'll take an age.
>
> So, if you've got a copy of the Handbook in PS or PDF format, and the
> images (particularly the installation images in chapter 2) work OK for
> you, and you know the date the PS or PDF was generated, please can you
> follow up with that information so that I can narrow the search down.

My most recent intact PDF Handbook was generated around or before 9
April, from the Handbook sources we shipped with 5.0-DP1:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/doc/handbook/book.pdf

The trick is that I don't know what versions of the tools I had in use
back then.  I have a dim recollection that we'd hit some kind of
internal limit in some part of the toolchain that corrupted the PDF
files (if I remember right, it was a ps2pdf problem).  The ghostscript
7.X updates fixed that part, but then we had the broken image image
problem.  It's not necessarily ghostscript's fault...a bunch of other
tools were updated in the interim as well.

Hope this helps...

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1880813464P

--==_Exmh_-1880813464P--