Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:54:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        <RavenShadowz@aol.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 RavenShadowz@aol.com wrote:

> Is BSD similar to LINUX?  Right now I program in VB.  Thank you.

Many people would say: Linux is similar to FreeBSD. FreeBSD has been build
from Berkeley UNIX which was the very important UNIX flavour developed at
the University of California in Berkeley from about '76 to '95.

Linux is a UNIX clone - an operating system designed to be similar to
UNIX. In other words, FreeBSD is an older brother or sister of Linux.

I don't want to say Linux is bad. But FreeBSD is in some sense more
original than Linux.

Of course there are a lot of similarities. System programming, for
example, is mostly done in C or Perl; this holds for both systems. KDE and
Gnome are available for both, too, if you look for interesting graphical
user interfaces. But the command line interface is still important in
FreeBSD and in Linux.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg