Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 11:29:36 -0300
From:      "Bernardo M. Brummer" <bbrummer@solar.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cvsup

Hi !

I would like to upgrade a 4.4 box (and all apps, including KDE 3) to 4.6.

a) I never had good results with CVS:
1. New sources were loaded in different directories, which brought compiling
problems.
2. Upgraded system wouldn't make world.
3. If I managed to run making world, it wouldn't recompile a new kernel.
4. If I managed to recompile a new kernel, it would only recompile the
GENERIC source.
5. The updated system wouldn't run newer apps. (only the ones meant for the
original system).

b) Updating from iso CD. It updates OK (after some tries) but:
1. Update will refuse to update kernel sources, so I can't make world again.
2. Upgraded system becomes less stable.
3. KDE will run but with lots of warning messages and leaking memory.

The problem is: that the documentation one finds (handbook, etc) is
outdated, and: CVS, makeworld and/or kernel building is done differently in
each version.
New CVS, makeworld and kernel source merging/upgrading command/switches, are
included or modified from version to version, and as result we have to try
out a number to see the ones that may work.

c) Therefore, best results were (in the past I hope) just to make a fresh
installation.

Now the question is: where can I find reliable information on how to upgrade
[4.4 (and all apps, including KDE 3) to 4.6] in less than 12 hours, or
should I better make a fresh install ??.

Cheers,  Bernardo