Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:06:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Rev. Nostrebor N. Cire" <spock@vcsa.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VPN through NAT

I currently connect to the Internet with an ISDN router and Cable modem.
The ISDN router connects to my office which is an ISP where I get subnets
routed to me.  I have placed a FreeBSD box running natd on the Cable modem
and some machines route through the cable modem for fast web browsing, but
most machines have real IP addresses and the use the socks proxy on the
nat box for web browsing.

I want to switch my access entirely to cable modem and have my subnets
routed to me over a VPN.  I was hoping to do this with FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE
using the gif interface.  The problem is that bot ends of a gif connection
have to know each other's IP addresses, and my cable modem IP changes
periodically.  I also want the VPN router to be a seperate machine from
the cable modem proxy.  I need the VPN session to be encrypted so that my
cable modem provider will not know I am running mail, web and ftp servers
over cable modem.

Can the gif interface be used through NAT?  If not, can anyone recommend a
better VPN solution do do what I want to do?

I can place anything I need to at my office to support the VPN connection.
Currently I have a FreeBSD 4.0R box there for this project.

The Vulcan Center for Supercomputing Applications
http://www.vcsa.org