Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:38:20 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "m p" <sumirati@yahoo.de>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Still trying to use FreeBSD as a gateway for PPTP to DSL

m p writes:

> i don't know anything about PPTP, but if it works
> for your FreeBSD machine i see no reason why it
> should not work over the net.

I agree, but I haven't been able to find enough information on how to configure
it to make it work.

I finally gave up yesterday and installed a router between the DSL modem and the
rest of my LAN (all two machines!).  This solved the problem real fast.  The
router opens the PPTP session, then multiplexes the two machines onto that
connection with NAT.  I have only one IP for both, but they are essentially
client machines from the Net's viewpoint, anyway, and the router does allow me
to direct certain types of traffic to specific machines.  It also includes a
firewall, which is nice.  Most of the material I read recommended a hardware
solution anyway, for security reasons, if not for performance, so I guess this
will work out better.

> First question: Can you ping the outside interface
> of your FreeBSD system?

It's IP address on the LAN, you mean?  Yes.  I just couldn't get Windows to
route traffic to the outside world through the FreeBSD system.  I wasn't sure
whether it was Windows messing things up, or a configuration error in FreeBSD.
Anyway, I guess that is a moot point now.

Of course, now I have another question:  How do I make sure that FreeBSD sees
and picks up the router as the gateway to the outside world?  Should I hard code
this in a configuration file somewhere (which one)?  Or will running something
like routed work?  I found that by setting the router to use DHCP (which my
other machines ignore, but by doing this I cause the router to broadcast DNS
information it receives over the PPTP link as well, apparently), and by running
routed, it seems to fix the problem, although I don't understand why.