Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:43:40 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Vernon Buck Jr <vbuck@usa.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCO Unix Apps & FreeBSD

In the last episode (Jun 01), Vernon Buck Jr said:
> We sell SCO OpenServer systems with a Unix App called Medical Manager
> for Doctor Offices, I am Considering switching to FreeBSD as the
> Platform are their any considerations particular to SCO that I might
> need to look for?

FreeBSD's IBCS binary emulation is very good.  This will run SCO
3.2v4.2-compiled programs.  Programs built with SCO OSR5 are SVR4 ELF
binaries, and our SVR4 emulation is nowhere near complete enough to run
those binaries.

The best solution is always to recompile the source for FreeBSD and run
it as a native binary, but sometimes that's not possible.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com