Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:08:24 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Aguiar Magalhaes <magalhj@yahoo.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Installing Free over linux installation

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:40 am, Aguiar Magalhaes wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Using standard installation (sysinstall), I'm trying
> to install the FreeBSD 6.0 in the machine where exist
> a old linux installation (The linux will be full
> replaced)
>
> In the fdisk stage, I've created /, swap, /var, /usr
> and /home slices, but when I confirm, I've received a
> error message about the swap slice:
>
> "Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
> The creation of filesystem will be aborted"

It seems that you are trying to force your precocieved ideas=20
(from Linux) on th DreeBSD installation.

=46reeBSD is a UNIX/BSD derivative which has its own partitioning=20
system. A slice is treated (more or less) as though it was a=20
complete physical device and will normally be subdivided into=20
BSD partitions one of which is (partition 'b') is normally used=20
for swap.=20

If you are using the entive disk for FreeBSD then allocate the=20
entire disk as a single FreeBSD slice and then move on to the=20
labelling mode where this slice is subdivided for BSD=20
partitions. There should be at least 2 visible from sysinstall;
namely ad0s1a containing the root file system and ad0a1b containg=20
the swap space. Usually there will be more than 2 visible=20
partitions -- it is usual to provide a separate partition=20
for /usr and sometimes /home, /var and /tmp.

It is possible to create a swap area in a separate slice but this=20
is probably somewhat difficult to do directly through=20
sysinstall.

Malcolm=20