Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:45:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        "Michael D. Hobgood" <mhobgood@ipa.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Support

On Sunday, 27 August 2000 at 14:21:09 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

Your mailer mutilates the text.

> On  Sunday, August 27, 2000 3:04 AM, "Michael D. Hobgood" <mhobgood@ipa.net> wrote:
>> Several months ago I purchase FreeBSD v3.4.  Unfortunately, it did
>> not support PCI modems.  Though I use Linux with an Actiontec PCI
>> modem, I would still like to use FreeBSD.  I have been trying to
>> find out if the latest version supports PCI modems, but have been
>> unable to get a definitive yes or no.  Would you be so kind as to
>> let me know?
>
> FreeBSD doesn't support winmodems.  Most PCI modems are winmodems
> and therefore are not supported.
>
> To be a bit more verbose, winmodems are really half a modem.
> Windows emulates the rest of the hardware in software.  No one will
> give the FreeBSD team the specs of the chipset used, so therefore
> they are unable to duplicate this.

It's not that simple.  Since there's support for them in Linux, we can
get the code.  But there are also a number of different chipsets.  The
real issue is that nobody on the FreeBSD team wants to touch them,
which is a pity really, since they're obviously on the increase.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.