Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:09:19 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Jules Gilbert" <julesg@newebmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I verify how sshd is starting?

"Jules Gilbert" <julesg@newebmail.com> wrote:

> Someone else put my FreeBSD box together.

What version of FreeBSD?

> How to I determine whether sshd is starting via rc.d or by inetd?

I haven't seen anyone start sshd from rc.d in quite a while.  If there's
a startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and it has execute perms, then
it's trying to start sshd.

Watch the startup procedure on boot and see which part of the procedure
it's starting at.

> I've had to tighten down the box and the changes I've made don't seem
> to have any effect, though I did a shutdown and restart.

What changes did you make?

And please wrap your lines at 72 characters so I don't have to fix your
email formatting.

> Please email me your answers -- I am in a critical situation here;
> and seem to have been 'discovered' in the way no one appreciates.

What way is that?

> Also, I'd appreciate a reference to a text (on-line or the paper kind)
> discussing topics such as:  hosts.allow, inetd.conf, sshd.conf, you
> know, the stuff I should have been learning about all along...

Best reference I know of are the man pages.  type "man inetd.conf" or
whatever you want to learn about.  Start with "man man" if you've never
used man pages before.

The FreeBSD handbook also has a lot of good information.  See the links
on the left side of the home page.

As far as print books are concerned, it used to be you bought The
Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey ... but there are a number of good
FreeBSD books nowadays, and I can't say I know of one that doesn't
come recommended.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies