Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 03:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CUPS & Parallel port printing - how ?

<quote who="Stephen Hilton">
> On Wed, 22 May 2002 20:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
>

> Nate,
>
> Confirm that the Cups startup script is being run from the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory.
>
> If you don't the "Parallel Port #1 (interrupt-driven)" may not
> show up when doing Admin printer setups.

well it seems that lptcontrol command worked. I have access to
the parallel port once again under cups. and I didn't know about
the script, in the past i had started cups via just running 'cupsd'
I had to reinstall gimp-print manually as the freebsd port's version
doesn't appear to install any drivers..not a big deal, after another
hour or so of compiling my printer is fully functional again(after about
3 weeks of downtime), i printed a testpage from cups and a document
from staroffice 6(remote from my test suse workstation over lpr) and
it came out great!

thanks a lot! I was losing hope there for a while fearing a parallel
port failure or something similar.

(big sigh of relief)

thanks again!!

nate