Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:37:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <legg@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.3-RELEASE Security Issues

Just last week, After only being up for 80 minutes, my machine was
vandalized all the way from Romania, before I disabled telnetd as
recommended by:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:49.telnetd.v1.1.asc

I am not sure how this person got in, as my logs were deleted, but I am
guessing it was through the telnetd vulnerability.  I had to reinstall.
Other than disabling this service, are there any other holes that a box on
the network may be vurnerable to?

Right now I just got reinstalled, and I have been online only long enough
to test my network.  Afraid to get back on the network now.

Timothy D Legg
legg@iastate.edu