Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 18:12:20 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@stt3.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, mckusick@vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: NEW FEATURE. BSD file NOUNLINK flag. RFC.. will commit unless....

Brian Beattie wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:
>

> > I would like feedback on a new feature I want to add to the
> > filesystem code.
> >
> > In addition to the immutible and append flags, we at whistle are
> > using a flag NOUNLINK
> >
> > The action of this flag is to allow the file or dir in question
> > to be modified in any way but never deleted.
>
> I would be opposed to this as, unlike the immutible flag, I can not see
> how is adds to the robustness or security of the system.  It adds yet
> another hidden control and contributes to bloat and feeping creaturisim.
> If this must be added it should be an kernel config option, normally off.
>
> I can see "Unremovable file ... even when I log into the system as root I
> can not remove this file ... !$%*^)^$# FreeBSD sucks".

immutible already gives you this..

> Matbe if somebody could explain how this fixes some major problem I might
> feel differently.
well its'a MAJOR problem for US as we a re trying to turn freeBSD into
an
embedded OS in a 'appliance'.. see www.whistle.com

once again....

OK here is the picture

we have several users.
all untrusted.
some must be in a group 'admin' that allows them to write to and delete
anything
in a certain subtree.. EXCEPT a skeleton hierarchy of directories.

When the system is in administration mode, the REAL admin (root in
single-user)
can add to and change that skeleton hierarchy. All users must be able to
write to their own directories in the hierarchy (and delete).

So far, if we have a group 'admin', then users in that group
can do things an admin should be able to do if the whole hierarchy
has a group of admin. HOWEVER these are UNTRUSTED admins, and must not
be
able to delete parts of the essential skeleton hierarchy.

With a NOUNLINK bit we can nail down the hierarchy when in 'real' admin
mode, and the 'untrusted' admins can't smash it. As a side note,
they are running through the netatalk, samba and ftp interfaces and
don't see 'unix' as such.
The trouble with IMMUTIBLE and APPEND is that they don't allow the users
create and delete their own files freely within the established
hierarchy.

The sticky bit is CLOSE, but we run into trouble with more than one user
with
admin privs because they can't un-do each other's damage.

To your comment.. This is no more 'annoying' than the 'IMMUTIBLE' flag
that presently does even more..

personally I think it complements the other flags quite well.

comments?

julian