Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:04:03 -0400
From:      Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exchange substitute

So I'm late... :-)

--On Friday, May 18, 2001 12:32:59 -0700 "Jeremy C. Reed"
<reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> I also am curious about this. On Tuesday, I gave a presentation about BSD,
> open source, and Linux; and some of the audience asked me about
> alternatives for MS Exchange/Outlook -- in particular they were interested
> in providing shared calendars. (I guess this is called "groupware".)
> I have only heard about evolution, so it was my only answer.

There are a lot of calendaring solutions. Some are free and some aren't.
Freshmeat is a good place to start looking.

For free solutions, phpgroupware is worthwhile. There is also one for a
Zope  server that's called Worldpilot (I think).

> But then later, I remembered reading about HP's OpenMail. It is available
> for Linux -- maybe it runs under FreeBSD. My Agilent-working father
> believes that OpenMail is mostly compatible with MS Exchange's
> features (and since he is a former-HP employee, he believes it is a lot
> better). But, I believe that OpenMail isn't being supported anymore, and
> in the next few years it will be phased out.

HP licensed MAPI from MS, so they were actually able to provide a server
that Outlook can talk to via RPC.

Openmail is a pig. :-) I've never seen anything slam a server so hard. But,
it did work pretty well, and was much more stable than NT/Win2K/Exchange.

HP decided not to keep Openmail alive any longer. There was talk of trying
to get them to release the source, but it isn't much good without the MS
code in the client for MAPI. I really doubt that they will be able to
open-source that part. :-)

> As for evolution, I don't know much about it. I hear that it uses some
> iCalendar protocol and will work with other calendaring systems.

iCal, LDAP, and vCard are the things to look for. iCal provides a standard
way to exchange calendar events between clients (although it works for the
client to server interface too). vCard does the same for contact info. LDAP
is LDAP. :-) (You could certainly use LDAP to communicate calendar and
contact info, plus a lot more.)

There was some talk in this thread about web-based solutions and how people
don't like them. This is certainly a problem, but isn't limited to just
groupware.

I don't have any answer for people, other than to just look around and try
things out. Notes/Domino isn't really the answer because it has a very
steep learning curve to administer. The client isn't so bad if the admin
sets things up properly beforehand.

However, this is also true for groupware in general, as well as the
currently popular CRM software. Most places buy into the groupware idea and
think they're going to have all these nifty things that the vendors talk
about. When it comes down to actually implementing it, the ball is dropped.
Exchange/Notes/Groupwise/whatever just get dropped in with a default
install and the advanced features never show up. (You have to fight to get
the users to use the features, even assuming they're made available.)

Groupwise needs Netware, so it's not going to be an Exchange-killer.
Notes/Domino freaks people out when they start trying to run it. You can
easily make a career out of learning Notes. (You can do some extremely neat
things with it, but you need skilled admins and programmers.)

Exchange is probably the easiest to plug n' play. It will run, if not
particularly well, even installed by the clueless.

The only advantage to Exchange/Outlook is that it is integrated. The client
has access to all the features. A lot of these are integrated into the OS
too. You can use the address book for other applications, for instance.

It would be much harder to do this with a unix machine as a server using
standards-based software.

LDAP is going to have to be a central point IMO.

It's an interesting topic. It also shows how MS ties your data up into
their system so that you're forced to use more MS software. There is
nothing open about MS's messaging and collaboration software.

Once you buy into one part of the MS world view, it becomes the path of
least resistance to keep going. It is very hard to pull your data back out
of MS's clutches, and they don't make it easy to put it back in either.