Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:23:50 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:

Yes, it is. However, both desktops and servers run X client programs
in every Unix environment I've seen, and such use was supported by the
IT staff. On the other hand, I've never seen a Windows shop where the
IT staff supported file servers, SQL, and mail servers running on
desktop boxes. The proximity of the two divisions caused me to assume
a similarity of structure that you may not have meant.

> To be honest though, I've never seen a pure UNIX shop at all, every
> one I've seen that claims to be a UNIX shop always has Windows
> systems stashed in corners here and there.  But, I'm assuming that
> they must exist, after all Sun and HP sold a heck of a lot of X terminals
> at one time and that hardware went somewhere.

I've been at Unix shops that didn't have a single Windows box. The few
DOS boxes they had were there to support users dialing in from home
with their own hardware. I've also been at shaps that had them, but
they weren't supported by the IT staff - even though Mac's were.

I've also never seen a pure Windows shop - even for the
desktop. Almost inevitably, someone supporting the "back room only"
Unix servers had put a Unix box on their desktop to make their life
saner.

	<mike