Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:49:30 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
Subject:   Re: swapping hard drives

You'll need to make sure that support for the new
NIC is compiled into the kernel you're running on
the "old" server.

You'll also need to be prepared to address any
network topography and security issues that come
as the result of this host having a new MAC address,
etc.

OTOH, I've done this at least three times, and only
once did it require any significant tweaking at all.  The
last time was last week, when I moved from a Cyrix
166 to an AMD 300 (with different NICs) just by
moving the drive from one to the other.  The catch
there is that the box wasn't doing a whole lot, so
it wouldn't have been a big deal.

In the interest of being safe, generally I'll just build
a "substitute" box and route services to it while I
work on the original.  But, as I said, I've had only
a little trouble with doing what you propose in 3 tries.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.