Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:06:17 -0500
From:      Gary <gv-list-freebsdquestions@mygirlfriday.info>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Server Questions

Hi Darryl,

--On Thursday, October 02, 2003 10:25:33 AM -0500 Darryl Hoar
<darryl@osborne-ind.com> wrote:

> 1. I have a LAN behind a freebsd firewall.  The firewall is also doing
>     nat, as my internal LAN is 192.168.1.*
> 2. I have dns running on my internal LAN using a dsn name that is
>     registered by not used outside of our private LAN.
> 3. I have a freebsd (4-7 stable) machine running Apache and is
>    used  to host our internal website and also as a test site for
>    pre-release evaluation of our external website.
>
> Our pre-release evaluation website has forms with email.   I need
> to setup email on the apache freebsd server so the email links
> work correctly and can be evaluated prior to uploading to the
> external webserver.

Okay

> Is there an easy way to accomplish this ?

There are several ways that I can think of, PHP, perl, or CGI scripts. If
you use formmail, make sure it is the absolute latest version, all previous
versions have security problems, and will make you an open relay for sure.

> Headers will have to be valid or the external mail server will reject.

Any MTA will reject if the headers are not valid, or they should.

> Should I install qmail and configure for this task or should I slog
> through sendmail config ?

You can use any MTA, the scripts will call the sendmail wrapper, called
sendmail if it is qmail, replacing the real sendmail wrapper, or you just
could use Sendmail if that is what you are using currently..

--
Gary