Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:18:45 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        pj <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to start apache22 without ssl

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:44:54 -0400
pj <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Well, I don't think the universe is against me. I rather think that
> there is a really serious lack of communications skills among many
> programmers.

hi Phil,
i think you are mistakenly believing everyone in this list are programmers. We
are not, as you can see from the variety of issues brought up. If you head to
-hackers@ you may find just kernel developers,though :)

> I find that often the simplest installations are overly
> complicated and "convoluted," if you will.

We can all help by suggesting better ways of doing things. And/or spending time
researching and devising new ways of making things better for everyone.

> For example, I have been
> strugglling with the installation of CUPS. For some reason the CUPS
> metaport would not install. I finally decided to install only the
> cups-base and then the configuration and implementation were child's
> play.

then the issue most probably was with something other than just CUPS, but one
of the components  and their dependencies.

>No need to install gnu-ghostscript of gutenprint or any of the
> other stuff

well, now you have the experience to know that you dont need to install the
whole thing to have your system working the  way you want. Which, IMHO, is one
of the best things about OSS.

>  - I just put the ppd file for my specific printer in the
> cups/ppd directory, tweaked the configuration and bingo. The same for
> OpenOffice.org... I had to figure out a way to simplify the installation
> and had no need to go through 12 hours of compilation from the source
> code.

It only takes an hour , tops 3, to build on a P4 3.0 GHz with HT , 1 GB RAM.
I'll try to time it next time...

> The binary was a snap, once I figured it out.
yes, learning to pick packages instead of building from ports is one of those
"oh,this is so great" moments. :)

> Apache22 and Samba
> had me confused for a while, but with a little help from the mailing
> list I got straightened out and it all works like a charm.
>
> But the httpd -DNOHTTPACEPT remains a mystery

ok - did you read the man pages about /boot/loader.conf ? did you search the
web about how to use it?

>; after removing the
> loader.config entry, I rebooted, checked the kldstat, found the module
> no longer

WAD (Working As Designed) - if you don't tell the kernel to load a module via
adding it to /boot/loader.conf, the kernel won't do it by itself. Pretty simple
really.
( of course, this refers to modules NOT built into the kernel, and those that
are not needed by other modules that  *are* listed in loader.conf)

> loaded in the kernel but the ps waux | grep httpd still came
> up with -DNOHTTPDACCEPT.>

If Kernel does NOT have accf_http loaded, then apache will start with that
parameter. Simple as that.

In case you didnt come across this anywhere, you put in loader.conf information
for the boot process to process @ start up. kernel hints, as well as kernel
modules to load.

Now, in your if you remove your entry and reboot, the kernel wouldnt find the
instruction to load the module , so it wont do it. then apache starts, cant
find accf_http in the kernel and it'll start up with the -DNOmumblemumble to
prevent accessing code it isnt there in the kernel.

> I did not do any further tweaking or make any
> changes to apache22 and now it boots correctly and the -DNOHTTPDACCEPT
> is no longer there. Now, wouldn't you say that is weird.

not at all. Re-read all the thread on this subject again, read about what
kernel modules are and how they are used,etc.

If you still have questions,

> But then, I do
> admit that I do not understand the system.

Fixable too , to the level that you are  interested to, of course - nobody
expects you and every other user of FreeBSD to become kernel developers
(although it'd be OK if you did :) ).

Have you read the Handbook?
it is installed by default (i think) in your Fbsd system under
/usr/share/doc/handbook, and it's available in freebsd.org too.

There are LOTS of man pages with excellent information. FreeBSD is probably the
best documented OSS project of large size around. Beats most Linux
documentation hands down, IMHO.

The mailing lists are simply fantastic, and they all keep archives (as well as
several independent sites archiving them too). Check out the list of different
topics in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
(yes, part of the handbook), subscribe to as many topics you find interesting
(email is cheap!) and invest some time in it. Or just browse the archives.

Also, Dan Lagille maintains http://www.freebsddiary.org/ , a great site (some
would call now it 'blog' though it's been around for longer than the term ;) )
with specific solutions to issues or things Dan has had to do with FreeBSD.
It's a great read when you dont know what to learn next :)

> However, I am the greatest fan of "understanding" you could find. That's
> why I ask questions that may seem strange at times.
> BTW, my advice to programmers and, for that matter, anyone in any kind
> of a project - think about the end user and how he will see the results
> of your works, how he will use it without having the "creator's" vision.

you HAVE to spend time reading and doing your homework. Pretty much everyone in
this and other freebsd lists is willing to help to the extent their time allows
them, but asking questions to the list without any effort to figure things out
for yourself first will yield dimishing returns very quickly.

> I enormously appreciate the help you and everyone who responded were
> able to offer. Hope I can do so for others as I grow with the system.

:) it is not an attack on you - this has been said over and over to many people
(have a quick look in the archives for people asking questions straight ouf of
uni / school assignment...they hardly ever get any replies unless the OP has
shown they've invested some effort first, and need a hand to move to the next
level.

... and after all that... i better get cracking with some work ;)
best regards,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Software isn't released.... it escapes.

Warned.