Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 18:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install Question: Make my own install CD?

I will soon be acquiring a new computer, which will allow me to upgrade to a
real operating system.  I'm definitely interested in FreeBSD, but I don't have
a credit card to order the CD from Walnut Creek, and FTP over 56k modem doesn't
sound like a whole lot of fun.  Just to be curious, if I go with the base
system, X Windows, KDE, and client-side Internet apps, any rough guess on how
long such an FTP would take?

A friend of mine has a cable modem, (which isn't as much faster than phone modem
as the cable companies say, but definitely still faster, especially if you pick
the right time of day,) and a CD burner.  The plan I'm hoping to talk my friend
into is to FTP from her computer, and copy onto CD.

Three questions:
1) For those who have cable modem, and have a good feel for the actual speed
of a cable modem, if I go with what I stated in the first paragraph, any ideas
on how long this would take with cable modem?

2) Regarding the actual installation, should I create a DOS partition on my own
machine, and copy the CD to there, or should I be able to install straight from
the CD I created?

3) If I can go straight from CD, do I still follow the instructions for
installing from a DOS partition?

Two more pieces of information:
1) M$ Windows will definitely not find its way on to my new machine, so
creating a DOS partition only to reformat it after the installation is
complete is just extra steps it would be nice to not have to bother with.

2) My friend with the cable modem only has Win95 on her computer.

Since I've never actually installed any flavour of Unix before, I'm kinda
reluctant to install FreeBSD without the "official" CD.  Unless I'm fairly
confident in the above plan, I may go with Linux.  I know a store where I can
get the CDs (and I'd even have a choice, but from what I've heard, I'd probably
go with Debian.)

Anything you can say that would be helpful would be appreciated.

Mark