Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:31:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dcarmich@mcs.com (Douglas Carmichael)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

> Could FreeBSD be made to comply with B1 or C2 trusted system standards
> FOR REAL (unlike NT that can only comply when not hooked up to a network)?

Networks are problematic.  They require authentication in the form of a
"ticket" or "cookie".  Technically, one can always fake a "cookie", and
the time limitation is meant to shorten (but not eliminate) the window
in which the "cookie" is valid.

FreeBSD could easily be made C2 compliant.  B1 is a bith, in that it
pretty much requires the network authentication go away.  If I can't
trust a remote machine, I can't trust it to say "yes, this person is
who I say he or she is...".

Security comes down to no external connections and a marine guard at
the door of the Tempest vault, in most cases.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.