Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:43:59 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4R telnet might not request password for bad userid

To clarify the subject line:

I found that in 3.4-RELEASE, if I create /etc/skey.access, then if I telnet
to the system and enter an invalid user ID, the login is aborted without
ever requesting a password.  It does NOT allow an invalid user to log on,
but it does give an attacker a method of identifying a valid user id.

An "invalid user ID" is, in this case, any user that is not allowed to
login with S/Key, either because the user doesn't exist, or is not enabled
in skey.access.

When I telnet to the system, it looks something like this:

  Connected to x.y.ufl.edu.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  login: fred
  Login incorrect
  login:

I fixed the problem by editing /etc/pam.conf and changing the line

login   auth    requisite        pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so

login   auth    required        pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so

My questions are:

1) Have I introduced some new problem by making this change?

2) Does this problem exist in 3.4-STABLE, and if not, is the fix
significantly better than what I did?  Upgrading to 3.4-STABLE would be a
real pain for at least one of the systems I encountered this on.

By the way, I cannot reproduce this on 4.0-RELEASE, so it got fixed
somewhere along the way.

-- Bob