Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:44:54 +0000
From:      David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
To:        Steve Byan <stephen_byan@maxtor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-kern@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEV_B_SIZE

The only reason I can see for supporting 512byte reads is to allow
them to to be used as system disks without requiring a BIOS update.

I suspect that the only reason that the BSD systems don't support
sector sizes other than 512 is a lack of test media.
Indeed someone has recently gone through the netbsd code getting
it to work with (IIRC) 1k blocks for a specific disk.

With a test sample the ffs support would be fixed in a few days,
and probably backported to recent releases within a few weeks.

No one using windows will care :-) you could lock the ATA bus
a few times a day and they'd just reset and continue. :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk