Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:48:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 40upgrade kit

Tom Hines writes:
> Whoa.  It's much worse than I thought.  Now none of my devices work.
> They're either not found or not configured.  What happened?  I need to
> reverse that upgrade kit, but it deleted my old libc.so.3.  Please help.

Well, the obvious solution is to boot your disaster recovery disk and
restore it from the backup. Failing that, there should be a copy of
libc.so.3 on the fixit disk in /usr/lib/.

But it sounds like much worse things are wrong - hardware problems, or
possibly a disk in really, really sad shape. Check the log files for
hardware errors, and contemplate restoring from backup or
reinstalling.

	<mike