Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:24:35 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alternative way to do -stable to -current upgrade

Hi guys,

I had an abortive -stable to -current upgrade late last week, despite
following the directions in UPGRADING, the two kernels I built (one
custom, one GENERIC) both froze on me during the reboot process.

I'm a little wary of doing it again like that, because it does take
some time to fix.

So I had an alternative idea.  How about doing the following:

  1.  Download -current boot.flp, mfsroot.flp, fixit.flp, and write to
      floppies

  2.  cd /usr/src && make buildworld

  3.  Reboot from boot/mfsroot.flp

  4.  When prompted, use the fixit floppy to get a shell

  5.  Mount all the fixed disk partitions, and then (assuming they're all
      mounted under /mnt/root)

         cd /mnt/root/usr/src && make DESTDIR=/mnt/root

  6.  Mergemaster

  7.  Build and install a new kernel

This has the added advantage that if there's something in your system
that was OK in -stable, but doesn't work in -current, you're going to
find out about it before you've done an installworld, and before you've
overwritten a working -stable /kernel, because boot.flp will fail to
work.

The only problem is that mergemaster assumes it's merging in to /etc,
when that wouldn't be the case here -- mergemaster would need another
config option ($DEST_ETC ?) to specify where to install to.

Can anyone see anything there that's likely not to work?