Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:05:58 -0500
From:      "Samuel f. Stover" <livna@msn.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation question.

I am in the (desirable) position of evaluating FreeBSD 2.2.8 and RedHat 5.2
as potential corporate workstation OSs.  Haven't had any problems w/ RedHat,
been running it for a couple of months.  However I have encountered a bit of
a problem when installing FreeBSD.

I am installing on a Pentium 166 w/ 64M RAM, 2.5G Seagate Barracuda SCSI HD
and Plextor 12-Plex SCSI CD [Adaptec 2940 PCI controller].  I can wade
through the Novice installation until I get to where I choose my
installation media.  When I choose CD-ROM, I am informed that I do not have
a supported CD-ROM available.  I can start the installation from the
bootable CD-ROM so I know the hardware is set-up correctly.  I figure I'm
doing something wrong, but I can't see what.  I talked to a friend of mine
who knows Unix and he said to try entering the device manually, so I chose
the other File System option and entered /dev/cd0 as the filesystem.  It
appeared to install (although it did tell me that some of the packages I
selected couldn't be found on my install media, so I knew something was up),
but when I rebooted it said that it couldn't find a kernel.

I created a bootable floppy and ran the install from there with the same
results.  Whenever I choose my Install Media, I'm told that my CD-ROM isn't
supported.  My understanding is that any SCSI CD or HD is supported - and
RedHat installs w/o a hitch.  That tells me that I'm doing something wrong
during the install, but other than UserConfig, there isn't much that I do.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Samuel f. Stover