Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:57:58 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: extremely slow cc1plus

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> On 20-Nov-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  * > Hm.  The compilation (of this file) just finished, I think it took
> >  * > about 10 CPU minutes.
> >  *
> >  * Welcome to the wonderful world of C++.  It's the best thing that ever
> >  * happened to Starbucks.
> >
> > Ok, so it's normal?  Thanks, I won't worry about it then.  It's just
> > the package building machine, I can leave it to run as long as it
> > desires.
>
> I can't say for sure that it's normal.  Ten minutes is a long time
> to compile one file.  I suppose it might take that long if the file
> expanded a whole bunch of templates.  Since it eventually finished,
> I guess it was making some progress the whole time.

For another test case, my machine, which is a very recent 2.2-stable, P90,
takes over 35 CPU minutes to compile gilt.cc (part of the amulet UI
environment). Is C++ compilation always this slow? (gilt.cc is 2048 lines,
I still need to add up all the lines from the include files)

The machine was unloaded at the time, and has 40mb RAM.

Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |    Its the 90's, and collective action is STILL cool!
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za | Get active in your union today!