Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:56:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Marko Ruban <marko@tellurian.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing issue with cable modem

Marko Ruban writes:
> I guess no one knew the answer to my original question about getting RCN
> cable modem (with analog upstream line dialup) to work.  So here's a
> somewhat simplified question.  I narrowed the problem down to routing.
> Cable modem does dial out when I try to ping something on it's subnet
> (10.17.56.###), however it does not respond to any broadcast ARP queries
> about location of DNS server.

Where did you get the subnet number from?

BTW, my (limited) experience with cable modems is that you get
DHCP. Did you try that?

> Goal -- to add cable modem as the default gateway to internet.

I agree with Mikko - I've as yet to see a cable modem that had an IP
address of it's own. You may well have problems trying to share it
across multiple boxes. In which case, the easy solution is to put a
second NIC in your FreeBSD box, and have an xover cable between it and
the modem. That NIC is configured for the cable modem, the other is
configured for your network, and then use nat to fix addresses. If the
cable modem is doing DHCP and you set up the FreeBSD box as a DHCP
server, your windows box will keep working without touching a thing.

	<mike